Got Water? It's essential!
"Vigorous activity works up a sweat, which worsens dehydration and being drunk often relaxes inhibition to the point where people behave in ways they otherwise wouldn't."~ Jeff Wiese
Got Water? It's Essential!
by Determined D.
TGIF! Hello. I haven't been feeling myself for the past couple of days and I think I figured out the issue. I believe I may be dehydrated. I am feverish, thirsty, achy, tired, feeling sluggish, loss of appetite, and my urine is not the right color. (YUCK). So I decided to research 'dehydration' and it seems to describe how I am feeling to the T. While it may be common sense to replenish the fluids we have lost through exercise, fever, vomiting etc., we sometimes forget how important it is.
What are some of the symptoms?
- Dry Mouth
- Muscle Cramps
- Decreased Urine Output
- Dizziness or Lightheadness
- Discolored Urine
Please note that dehydration is more dangerous for babies and children. MedicineNet reports, "Millions of children die worldwide each year because of dehydration, often because of diarrhea." (2011)* A small amount of fluid every hour can help keep your child hydrated.
How can we prevent dehydration?
- Be aware of your surroundings and environment. If you plan to be outdoors on a HOT day be SURE to bring lots of water. Pay attention to weather reports, if there is a HEAT advisory, if at all possible, stay indoors.
- Before, during, and after exercise...drink, drink, drink, water, acqua, agua, 水的,del'eau, tubig, voda, воды....
- Always check on children and the elderly, especially during hot weather. MedicineNet reported, "During the Chicago heat wave of 1995, more than 600 people died in their homes from heat exposure." (2011)*
Dehydration can be a serious Emergency
Dehydration is very serious. We must replenish the fluids that our body loses. Many do not realize that if dehydration is left untreated it can result in death. When my children attend camp or school on a hot day, I make sure that they bring lots of extra water.
- Dehydration can become extremely severe and life-threatening if left untreated
- Alcohol increases dehydration - stay away from it, especially on a HOT day
- Some complications from dehydration are kidney failure, shock, electrolyte imbalance, and heat stroke
Hope Everyone has an awesome weekend & Stay Hydrated!
Determined D. xo
Comments are always Welcome!
Please note: This post is merely the opinion of the author and should not be used in place of professional medical device. Don't feel well, seek medical treatment.
References: Wedro, B. Dr. (2006-2011). Dehyrdration. Retrieved from: http://www.medicinenet.com/dehydration/article.htm
Special Shout Out to the Bar Method! They commented on my post: Thanks for mentioning us in your blog! The Bar Method integrates the fat burning format of interval training, the muscle shaping technique of isometrics, the elongating principles of dance conditioning, and the science of physical therapy to create a revolutionary new workout that quickly and safely reshapes your entire body. We welcome you to check out our website or contact us for any more information. Headquarters is also open to answering any questions you may have about the workout. Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks again! - Bar Method Headquarters Team