Healthy Cooking: Meals for One
Winter is my favorite Time for soups and stews. Not only are they basically " dump recipes" but they are also a great way to include a generous portion of vegetables. This recipe yields 9 quarts so you can easily make a meal tonight and freeze some for later.
Pasta E Fagioli Soup
- 3 teaspoons olive oil (10 calories)
- 2 pounds 97% fat free ground turkey (56 calories)
- 12 ounces chopped onion (7 calories)
- 14 ounces slivered carrots (4 calories)
- 14 ounces diced celery ( 5 calories)
- 1 bag fresh spinach ( 3 calories)
- 48 ounces reduced sodium tomatoes, canned and diced ( 8 calories)
- 2 cups reduced sodium red kidney beans * (23 calories)
- 2 cups great northern beans* (18 calories)
- 88 ounces beef stock( 15 calories)
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano (0 calories)
- 2 & 1/2 teaspoons pepper (0 calories)
- 5 teaspoons fresh chopped parsley( less than 1 calorie)
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce ( 0 calories)
- 24 ounces marinara sauce (24 calories)
- 12 ounces reduced sodiumV-8 juice (4 calorie)
- 8 ounces dry shell pasta – whole wheat ( 47 calories)**
Total calories based on 2 cup serving size: 224
Calories in beans based off canned varieties - *
Pasta can be omitted if you are watching carbs - **
Sauté beef in oil in large 10-qt. pot until beef starts to brown.
Add onions, carrots, celery and tomatoes and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Drain and rinse beans and add to the pot.
Also add beef stock, oregano, pepper, Tabasco, spaghetti sauce, and pasta.
Add chopped parsley and spinach.
Simmer until celery and carrots are tender, about 45 minutes.
Top with a sprinkle of fresh Parmesan cheese.